These frozen chocolate covered peanut butter banana bites are the perfect healthy warm weather treat. Keep a batch in the freezer for easy snacking and enjoy two bites for less than 100 calories!
Recipes don’t get much simpler than this but honestly, I think this is one of my favorite recipes of the summer! It’s the perfect after-dinner treat when you’re craving a little chocolate and let’s be real… that’s pretty much every night around here! I think baby girl has a sweet tooth like her mama.
These chocolate peanut butter banana bites are similar to my chocolate covered banana pops, but we’re adding in one of my favorite foods ever = peanut butter. Plus they’re a little easier to eat in my opinion! That said, both are really fun recipes to make with your kiddos if you are looking for a fun way to bring them into the kitchen with you this summer.
Are bananas and peanut butter good for you?
YES! I think I’ve talked about this before on the blog, but when did fruit get such a bad rap in the health world? Let me state it clearly in case you need to hear it: fruit is good for you. Period. Fruit is made by this lovely earth and is packed with a lot of vitamins and minerals our bodies need. Bonus points for tasting pretty dang great too. Fruit does have sugar, but it’s natural and a great source of carbs and energy. Nature’s candy indeed!
So back to bananas and peanut butter. This combination is actually the perfect combination for a snack or dessert. I like to try to make sure all of my snacks and meals incorporate healthy fats, lean protein, and fiber. Check, check and check when it comes to this combo – we have the peanut butter to thank for the fat and protein, and the banana to thank for the fiber.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites Recipe
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Peel and slice bananas into rounds about 1/4 inch thick.
- Line a platter or small baking sheet with parchment paper. Place about 1/2 teaspoon of peanut butter on a banana slice and top with another banana slice to make a little banana peanut butter sandwich. Keep doing this until all banana slices are used and you have about 30 bites. Place bites on two parchment lined platters or plates and place in the freezer to harden for about 1 hour.
- Once banana bites have been in the freezer for over an hour, melt your chocolate by adding chocolate and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, stir and microwave in additional 30 second increments until chocolate is completely melted. This shouldn’t take more than 2 minutes of microwave time.
- Once chocolate is melted, remove one platter of your frozen banana bites from the freezer. Dip each frozen banana bite into the melted chocolate so that half of each bite is coated. You can coat the full bite with chocolate, but you’ll need more chocolate chips if you want to do this.
- Place chocolate covered bites back on the parchment lined platter. Place back in freezer to harden up, grab your second platter and continue until all the bites have been dipped. Let both platters of chocolate covered bites harden in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- At this point you’re ready to enjoy or you can transfer the bites into a freezer safe storage container for later. They should last a least 1-2 months in the freezer.
- When you store the banana bites for a longer period of time, they can get pretty hard so you’ll want to take them out the freezer and let them thaw for about 5 minutes before eating.