Dice everything fairly small: That counts for both the chicken and the vegetables. Not only will they cook faster, but I also prefer having everything bite-sized in fried rice.
Vegetables and Chicken:
If you learn how to make fried rice once, you can really make it any way you like:
With different vegetables, a different protein – or even with noodles instead of rice!
And note if you’re short on time: You can make this recipe with many frozen vegetable blends instead of chopping your own – stir fry mixes, onions and peppers or even basic mixed vegetables!
What can you use instead of rice?
You can use cooked Ramen noodles, cooked rice noodles, even cooked spaghetti! in place of the rice. I hear Cauliflower rice works, too, but ahem… Not my cup of tea.
I generally find long grain rice works best to make fried rice.
I’ll usually only have regular long grain rice on hand, but Basmati or Jasmin rice work even better and I use those when my husband overdid the grocery shopping again 😉
What you should avoid are starchy short grain rice varieties (like risotto rice or sushi rice) – they are too sticky for fried rice.
If you’re going for best, you’ll probably want to use toasted sesame oil. Now I’m not one to stock up on kitchen products I only use for a single dish, so peanut oil or any neutral vegetable oil works perfectly fine, too.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH FRIED RICE:
A stir fry with chicken and vegetables really is a full meal – if you don’t have the time, it’s perfectly acceptable to serve it by itself.
Easy Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 large chicken breasts (diced into bite-sized pieces; pat dry for best results)
- 2 large onions (peeled and diced)
- 3 medium carrots (peeled, trimmed and diced)
- 1 red pepper (cored and diced)
- 2 cups cooked and chilled rice
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Sesame seeds and sliced green onion
- Brown the chicken: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken on all sides, until browned.
- Sauté the vegetables: Add the onions and carrots and cook until the onions turn translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the pepper and cook until softened.
- Cook the rice: Stir in the rice and cook until it’s starting to brown. Stir in the soy sauce and maple syrup.
- Cook the egg: Push the fried rice to the side of the pan to make room in the middle. Add the beaten eggs and cook over medium-low heat until just set. Cut into pieces with a spatula and stir into the rice.
- Finish the dish: Add the peas, stir everything well and cook until they’re hot.
- Serve: Serve immediately sprinkled with sesame seeds and sliced green onion, if you like.