Easy lemon chicken skewers with garlic and herbs are delicious, healthy and fast making them perfect for summer dinners served with simple side dishes.HOW TO GRILL CHICKEN SKEWERS
To ensure chicken skewers are juicy and flavorful, marinate cubed chicken breast or thigh meat in a well-seasoned marinade for up to 24 hours before cooking. Combine olive oil, lemon juice and zest, crushed garlic and herbs of your choice (rosemary, thyme, parsley, sage and oregano all work well with chicken) with salt and pepper and pour over the chicken. After marinating, thread the chicken onto soaked bamboo or metal skewers. Soaking wooden skewers prevents them from burning on the grill on in the oven. I added a few sprigs of fresh rosemary in between the chicken pieces to infuse even more flavor into the skewers.
Pre-heat an outdoor grill or stove-top grill pan then cook the chicken breasts until golden brown (and cooked through) on all sides. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
CAN YOU PUT WOODEN SKEWERS IN THE OVEN?
Soaking wooden skewers for at least 30 minutes in boiling water will prevent them from burning on the grill on in the oven.
CAN YOU COOK CHICKEN SKEWER IN THE OVEN?
Yes, pre-heat the grill or broiler of your oven and cook the chicken skewers, turning every 5 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
CAN YOU FREEZE MARINATED CHICKEN SKEWERS?
Yes, you can freeze marinated chicken skewers. Marinate the chicken then thread the meat onto soaked wooden skewers/metal skewers and place in freezer bags or a freezer-proof container in a single layer before placing in the freezer. Skewers can be frozen for up to a month and must be de-frosted completely before cooking.
EASY HERBY LEMON CHICKEN SKEWERS Recipes
For the marinade
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2-3 garlic clove crushed
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
For the skewers
- 4 large chicken breasts skinless, boneless
- wooden skewers soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade.
- Slice the chicken into bite-sized chunks and place in a bowl. Pour over the marinade, cover and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes but up to 24 hours, covered in the fridge.
- Thread the marinated chicken onto soaked wooden skewers or metal skewers.
- Heat an outdoor grill or stovetop grill pan then cook the skewers, turning every 3-5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and golden brown on all sides.
- Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.